As Rob mentioned last week, Greta, Lincoln and I made the first trip to upstate New York from our new home. It was very much a utilitarian trip: retrieve our cats, Jinx and Sasha (who Aunt Colleen cared for since May during our crazy sell a house/buy a house/have a baby/move/start new jobs summer), and make a trip to the New York
DMV in Pulaski to resolve an issue with my driver's license so that I can become a
bona fide New Jersey driver. It also served as a gauge for how difficult (or not) it will be to see the grandparents. Turns out it is a VERY easy drive! Lincoln slept for all but a half hour of the 3:45 trip, which meant no pit stops were necessary. Greta amused herself with her baby dolls, kiddie karaoke, a variety of snacks, and a two hour nap. We arrived hungry but happy at Colleen's house just outside of Syracuse, where she was mixing up her yummy chocolate chip cookies.
The reunion between Greta and Jinx was very sweet. She told him: "I missed you, kitty cat. You come to my new house in New Jersey." He sniffed her hand (nose kisses) and let her pet him for a long time.

The kids amused themselves with dress up, baby dolls, the backyard
swing set, and a trip to the zoo (I'll share a funny story about the baboons later this week). Colleen and I drank lots of tea and she got to
reminisce about her babies while she gave Lincoln a bath and cuddled him. I think she could handle a fourth, but she swears three is it. Matthew, Allison, and Emily could not get enough of Lincoln, each trying to best the others in getting him to smile and burp. I think Matthew won, as he quickly mastered the "nose tap" that instantly resulted in baby gurgles and grins.

We also enjoyed a nice dinner with Grandma and Grandpa
Pandillo (who was meeting Lincoln for the first time). Greta got more than her fair share of Grandma-time feeding the fish, picking tomatoes, and playing tickle monster. If only I could bottle her giggles and open them later when I need a laugh!
A short but sweet visit, with many more guaranteed.
No comments:
Post a Comment