November 10, 2010

Daddy daycare

Carey's on a brief business trip to San Francisco (left this morning, returns on the red eye Friday morning), so I'm Mr. Mom for 48 hours. The kids were angels tonight, enjoying an episode of "Little Bear" while I made dinner (orange chicken, cheese slices, mandarin oranges, jello) and then reading the latest issue of "High Five" magazine with me while we ate. Lincoln got a bath (he skipped last night) while Greta enjoyed "Hands, Feet and Face" -- Mom's catchy phrase for cleaning up without bathing. Each got a book (Lincoln some horrible "Star Wars" Episode 3 rehash and Greta "Katy Duck") then I chose "Curious George Goes to the Movies." Each then got a song and it was lights out at 815. Now I'm horribly bored watching "Survivor" with one eye and blogging with the other. I always have mixed emotions when I'm with the kids alone. I feel a real sense of pride in being their father tinged with an anxiety that their mother isn't here should something happen.

And that's enough insight into my 38-year-old parental psyche for this evening. I probably won't pick up a camera again until the weekend when the weather is forecast to be nice and the family will be reunited.

2 comments:

Carey said...

Thanks for the update...although I hope Greta told you the proper order is "Hands, Face, and Feet!" I miss you all SO much and can't wait to see everyone at breakfast tomorrow morning. xoxo

Sara said...

feet? that's really one of the top three things to wash?