October 29, 2007

Promotion?

We had a lovely weekend in Washington -- reconnecting with family and friends. I'll trickle out some photos throughout the week, but here's the first, with a back story.

Met up with Aunt Kathy Friday night at her place in Ballston. After Greta chased her four cats around the condo, we took the elevator down 15 floors to Ruby Tuesday's. A very kid-friendly place, I must say, even at 7 p.m. on a party night. All week Greta anticipated the trip, mentioning Aunt Kathy by name and her friend Jay. I'm sure she has no idea that aunt means "sister of mommy's father," but she had always used the title in the past, even when we saw Kathy regularly while we lived there.

Well, somewhere on I-95 and in the last seven weeks, Aunt Kathy became "grandma." And trust me, that's not because she's been hiding a 30-something son or daughter who just gave birth! I prefer to think of it as a promotion in Greta's mind. Kind adult woman = Grandma. She called her that all night and part of Saturday morning. And Grandma didn't seem to mind a bit.

No comments: