October 31, 2007

Tricks and Treats

First, the not-so-nice trick on Halloween: a visit to the pediatrician. Today was Lincoln's 4 month checkup. He now weighs 13 pounds, 15.5 ounces, is 24.5 inches long, and has a head circumference of 16.25 inches. On the CDC Growth Chart's 4 month scale, his height and weight are around the 30th percentile, but if you adjust for his month-early delivery, he's in the 75th. Out of curiosity, I checked out Greta's 4-month stats: 50th for length and 25th for weight (if adjusted for her 2-month prematurity, 97th and 80%).

Lincoln is in good health, but the doctor gave us a prescription for a vitamin supplement to prevent vitamin D deficiency and rickets. No worries--it is the norm for breastfed babies. The doc also expressed mild concern for uneven neck muscle development, but with more tummy time and some exercises, he should be fine and will be re-evaluated in two months. And I thought he just liked to cock his head when he was listening to me! He was a screamer through the oral vaccine and three shots, but quickly settled down with some TLC.

Greta was checked out, too. She weighed in at 28.5 pounds, and measured 36.5 inches tall (47% and 66% respectively). She was amazing at the doctor's...I guess the Berenstain Bears book has really helped. I just kept saying "Like Sister Bear" to everything the nurse and doctor asked her to do, and she did it! She didn't even flinch or cry when the nurse gave her the flu shot. She just said: "The shot helps me not get sick!" What a champ! For a treat, we went to a nearby McDonald's Play Place. I know, I know, taking a healthy kid to a germ-infested kid zone was probably not the best idea, but since she just dances around the floor and doesn't climb up anything, I figured it wasn't too terrible.
After a descent nap, we again donned the Dora costume for Halloween at the Turtleback Zoo. Lincoln was dressed as a Yankee baseball player. Greta was really shy, but wished many people a happy Halloween, and got the hang of saying "Trick or Treat" by the end of the loop. Then we went "Safe Treating" at the shops in South Orange, which Greta loved, and Lincoln slept through. Greta kept singing the Dora theme song, and when she said "Where are we going?" she made me reply "Trick or Treating!" It was hilarious. Of course, I forgot the camera, so no memorable video to share. Just trust me, everyone who saw her loved it. She grinned non-stop for the hour walk around town. We met Rob for dinner downtown and finally got home at 7:30 to hand out treats. Greta stood on our front steps, calling "Kids, come get candy!" while Lincoln babbled away in the doorway. All in all, a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Rob said...

A quick day-after comment:

Greta woke up this morning and said, "I want it back."

I asked her what she wanted back, and she said, "the candy I gave to the kids."

So that ought to be a fun job for Mommy today, going door-to-door and collecting all the candy Greta gave away last night.

AK said...

Thanks for the big laugh at Rob's day-after comment. Priceless. Great way to start my day.