September 30, 2008

Take a hike!

I had a difficult time putting Greta to bed Monday night. She lost Tueday's zoo privileges, library privileges, and playground privileges over the course of 30 minutes. (Rob wonders if she is too young for my "consequences" approach to discipline. I don't know...but hopefully the new book I ordered last week, Dr. Harvey Karp's "Happiest Toddler On The Block," will help me out. I swear by Dr. Karp's "Happiest Baby" book, as his techniques worked for both Greta and Lincoln, and am eager to learn how to end the sudden battles for control we've been having with Greta.) Anyway, before what proved to be the final tuck in, I reminded her of the "privileges" she had already lost due to her failure to stay in bed and go to sleep, and said that if she didn't stay in bed after this tuck in, she wouldn't see any friends tomorrow. Apparently that did the trick, because she told me goodnight, curled up, rolled on her side, and went to sleep. AT LAST. When I told our playgroup of Greta's limited options, we agreed to meet at South Mountain Reservation for a picnic lunch and hike through the forest, something we haven't done before. Turns out Greta's bad behavior was the best thing that could have happened, since we had a perfect autumn afternoon!

Emma, Greta, Emma, and Duncan

Only Charlotte didn't look at the camera!

Enjoying a post-hike swirl Saf-T-Pop Sucker


"Just the girls"

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey Merrill Family. Had to comment about the sleep thing because we're going through the same thing with Ashlyn. She either insisted she be rocked to sleep or that we stay in the room with her until she fell asleep, only to try to sneak out without her waking. We've started a reward chart with four categories, one being Ashlyn going to sleep on her own, meaning we leave the room before she's asleep and she doesn't fuss. If she's successful, she gets to put a sticker on that day. We do three days at a time (figured that was attainable as opposed to a whole week). If she gets three stickers in a row, she gets to pick out a toy. We haven't made it there yet and her motivation wavers (doesn't care about a toy, could care less about a sticker), but the rocking chair is gone and she does succeed on some nights. So you're not alone in your battles. We had to do this or else I wasn't sure how I'd get Ashlyn to bed with the new little one (Keith works nights). Just an idea I wanted to share. Take care!

Rob said...

Hey Kristen --

We did a sticker reward when Greta was waking up in the middle of the night. A big piece of construction paper with the words GRETA SLEPT THROUGH THE WHOLE NIGHT! written in colored markers at the top. She was into it for awhile, so maybe it's worth revising to cure her pre-bed restlessness.

Thanks!