July 13, 2009

Greta's new game

For the last few weeks, our ever-imaginative daughter has been playing a game she calls "Mama Kitty." The game involves Greta in the role of Mama Kitty, I play the Nice Queen, Nice Witch, and Nice Any-other-character Greta deems necessary. The game is normally played while Lincoln naps, although he sometimes gets to play the role of Garden Bug.

Here is how the game is played: Greta stuffs her black and white kitten into her dress and cowers in her cozy corner, pretending it is the castle garden. She tells me that my subjects have informed me that there is a cat in the garden and it is going to have a baby! I express my surprise and then coax the Mama Kitty out of the garden (where the ground is too hard and the grass is too wet for a newborn kitten to be born) into the castle. I make her up a cozy bed, with 5 layers (2 blankets, a sheet, a duvet, and a sleeping bag), and wait until she tells me the baby is being born. She narrates that I am visited by a Nice Witch, who is also pregnant. And then, big surprise, both the nice witch and the mama kitty have their babies together and they grow up to be best friends. Then we play it again...and again...and again.

Today she consented to having a couple of pictures taken of her maternal feline self. Mama Kitty indeed!

1 comment:

AK said...

HA, HA, HA!! Too cute!! Mama Kitty, indeed.