July 16, 2009

Snakes on a porch...

We had a surprise visitor yesterday while the Bailey bunch was over for a play date: a baby snake on the sun porch! We're not sure whether Jinx caught him and brought him in from outside (Jinx had him cornered when we spotted the rascal near the back door), or if the snake somehow found his own way inside. This was the third little snake I've seen since May (or maybe the same snake I've seen three times?), and I was not nearly as excited as the kids were to have him in our house.

He proved to be an easy catch with an empty toy bin, and then transferred easily into Greta's Hello Kitty bug box. Greta and Emma were very proud of Jinx:
























Lincoln declared, "He likes me!" when the snake hissed his tongue at him, and Jack loved toting him around:























Their interest soon waned and they returned to backyard fun, picking lettuce in the garden, climbing castle house, and digging in the sand.


























Greta, Linc, and I carted the snake with us to the Wednesday night concert in the park. We released him in the bushes near the stream we pass on our walk past the tennis courts/pool. I figured placing him nearly a mile away, and down hill from us, should sufficiently deter him from visiting again. At least I hope so!

1 comment:

Dina said...

Yikes! I hate snakes!! We had one in our neighborhood pool the other day...I haven't been back!