February 19, 2009

Crummy day

Rob left for LA today. We miss him a lot. We especially missed him this afternoon when Lincoln fell/tripped in the living room and crashed into the television console. I was in the kitchen getting our after-school tea party ready when I heard the smash, followed by silence (while he sucked in his breath), followed by a wail.

I rushed in and saw his eye/eyebrow immediately swelling up. I applied ice right away, but the location of the swelling worried me. Since our pediatrician's office was closed, I decided to take him to the hospital to get checked out. Rob pays for insurance, so I figured we would use it.

Linc was his usual charming self by the time we arrived. Despite the swelling, he was in good spirits and managed smiles for everyone. He tolerated the on again-off again icing while we waited (and waited). Armed with his blanket and beloved mini Cozy Coupe, he was happy playing with his trucks, coloring, and watching cartoons on PBS for the first hour of our stay. The second hour was spent eating crackers and playing with the funny glove balloon/chicken I made for him. Checked over by a nurse, a resident, and finally an attending physician, he was spared a CT scan after the attending checked the eye socket and seemed satisfied there wasn't a fracture. Hooray!

Discharged with orders for me to check him every few hours throughout the night and to see our pediatrician in the morning, he told everyone "'Bye-bye," waved, and blew kisses as we walked out the door. He was especially happy to pick up Greta at her buddy Duncan's house, where we feasted on Drew's yummy spaghetti with creamy tomato and sausage sauce. We returned home for a late dessert/bedtime snack, ending our crummy day in a messy, crummy way!



2 comments:

AK said...

Oh, poor little guy!! It looks bad, but am so glad it wasn't worse.

Carey, please give him a kiss for me and a kiss for Greta, too.

J.L.S.W. said...

Poor thing! I hope that he's feeling better today. Kay Taylor sends her love :-)